I don't know about you, but for our family one of the most difficult things to maintain in our fast paced weeks, is a healthy diet that is also quick and easy. I'm on a constant look out for a solution to this, and most of the time what we try, just ends up being more difficult.
I finally found something! Buddha Bowls. For some reason the science behind these just spoke the language of my mind. They are so simple, yet they also allow the freedom to get creative with your ingredients.
So first- The science behind them:
How to design your Buddha Bowl
- Start with a base
- Add Veggies
- Add Protein
- Add Complex Carbs
- Add Sweet
- Add Crunch
- Add Flourish
The beauty of it is you can add what you want, and it opens the door to get creative. You also don't have to add each step. Its really just about what you and your family like. This makes Shopping so easy. You now have your categories of what to buy and then you you can make very different dishes with the same ingredients.
We tried two different types of Buddha Bowls and loved them both. Here are the recipes of what we put together. This can help you get started.
Mediterranean Chicken Buddha Bowl
- Garlic Quinoa and Brown Rice
- Power Greens and Sliced Mini Cucumbers
- Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- Garbanzo Beans and Sliced Rotisserie Chicken (Browned on the stove)
- Bacon (Lets be real Bacon makes everything delicious.)
- Fresh Basil and Fresh Rosemarie
- A little Ceaser Dressing Drizzled on top
- Salt and Pepper
I did equal parts Rice and Power Greens, then I topped it with the rest of the ingredients, following the diagram above. My visual rule was to be able to see all of the top ingredients, this made it so the tastes were not overwhelming, and complimented each other.
Fiesta Cilantro Lime Shrimp Buddha Bowl
- White Rice
- Power Greens Mix (From Costco)
- Home made Guacamole
- Pinto Chili Beans and Cilantro Chili Lime Shrimp (Costco)
- Drizzle Favorite Hot Sauces (Green Chilolua and Chili Lime Chilolua)
For some reason it just clicked for me. It is so simple, and it allows the freedom to get creative with your recipes. Plus the convience mixed with the healthy delicious food is a recipe for True Bliss.